Friday, April 27, 2018

BACK TO THE GARDEN


Yet another big stack of papers seems to have appeared on my desk while I was in Chicago this past week. As I walk into the office, it looks overwhelming, and my heart sinks a bit. Instead, of sinking further, I decide to go outside and meditate for a little while, and prepare in consciousness for the Day In The Garden event I'll be leading with my friend and long-time yoga instructor, Willie McDaniel, at his lovely Hill Country Sculpture and Meditation Garden this Saturday.
  
GETTING STARTED
     Upon finishing my meditation, I look around the yard and see a bumper crop of weeds growing in our herb garden and flowerbeds. Because of the lingering after effects of our car wreck, I haven't done much yard work since October, so the weeds have gotten a big head start on me. But, now that I am feeling better, part of me thinks I "should" tackle these weeds now, while another part knows that I don't want to "should on myself" anymore, the way I used to do. Besides, the beds are so overgrown that the task looks pretty daunting, so why not hire somebody else to do the work? Yet, I can't help remember how much I actually love weeding the garden, because the results are so useful, visible and satisfying.
 
FEELING SATISFIED
     Instead of letting the sheer volume of weeds feel overwhelming, I remember that it's really no big deal. The weeding doesn't have to get done all at once. Just a few minutes of work can make a significant difference. So I put on my gloves, grab the clippers and start. Fifteen minutes later, almost half of one bed has been cleared, and the wheelbarrow is overflowing with greenery for the compost heap. I'd like to do more, but there's no need to put too much stress on my body and risk yet another trip to the chiropractor. So, for now, that's enough.  
     Heading back into the office, I pledge to take the same approach to that pile of papers on my desk. No need to feel overwhelmed by it all; just deal with it one bit at a time. Work is not a battle to be won or lost; it's simply another invitation from Spirit to be present with whatever is in front of me. No more, no less.
     PS:  Please consider joining us in Kerrville for a day of meditation, movement and music in the Hill Country Sculpture and Meditation Garden, from 10am-3pm tomorrow. I'm pretty sure that you, too, will find some wonderful blessings and lessons -- as well a great chance to relax in nature! (For details, see below).
With joy,
    Rudi Harst

THANK YOU for holding the Circle in your heart by visualizing a generous flow of financial abundance. Thank you for supporting us as we continue our work of fostering a creative, inclusive approach to spirituality. We are deeply grateful.


http://www.celebrationcircle.org/donate


No comments:

Post a Comment