Saturday, February 20, 2016

NOW AND THEN


     Thirty-six years later, I can still remember exactly where Zet and I were standing on the night of December 8, 1980, when we heard that our musical hero, John Lennon, had been assassinated. We'd just walked out of the Hole in the Wall, a bar on Guadalupe Street (aka "The Drag") adjacent to the University of Texas Austin campus, and we were in a great mood. We'd come there to scope out the burgeoning live music scene in Austin, along with a fellow musician, Charlie Athanas. The Hole in the Wall was just one of several places we planned to visit that night, looking for a venue where Charlie and I could book our first Austin gig, after carefully building our folk-punk act with scores of performances in San Antonio.
WAY BACK WHEN
     I remember being impressed that a local band, The Skunks, was playing to a packed house on a Monday night, something that would never have happened in San Antonio in those days. The Skunks were good, but we were giddy with plans for our own music as we walked out of that hot, pulsing club with the intention of heading to another one down the street, only to be greeted by a crowd of folks huddled around the front door, sobbing and groaning in disbelief over the news of John's death. We drifted to the edge of the group and stood in shock, unable to move any further, much less continue with the night of light-hearted bar-hopping we had planned.
HERE AND NOW
     Fast forward to 2016, and many things have changed. These days, a major news story like that would probably flash on everyone's smartphone simultaneously, but it's highly unlikely that I would ever be in a loud, crowded bar to witness it. My friend, Charlie, moved to Chicago where he's had a successful career in theater and graphic design, while my taste in music has changed quite a bit, along with my hairline, waistline and bedtime.
     Oddly enough, thirty-six years later, I still had haven't performed a concert in Austin. Sure, I've sung and spoken in several churches and conferences there, but somehow I let myself fall into a limited mindset about where I could (and could not) perform my songs. Over the years, I became so focused on writing and singing about spirituality, primarily within the context of Celebration Circle and like-minded "spiritual settings," that I'd convinced myself I could only play in "those kinds of venues." That Austin was so saturated with excellent musicians that I would never be able to play there. That my music could never be popular outside of the narrow box of "sacred music" I'd constructed in my own head.
MOVING FORWARD
            For a variety of reasons, that's finally begun to change over the past year, as I've gradually expanded my range of performance opportunities and musical skills. I've resurrected Rudi + the Rudiments, a trio-based band format (Kevin Lewis, bass; Kiko Guerrero, drums) that enables me to co-create the brand of planned spontaneity I love best. Brushed up on my guitar chops, so I can play with the amazing musicians who've "magically" begun appearing in my life. Grown as a vocalist, spurred on by gift of singing along with the amazing voice of Sister Sarah Gabriel. It's been quite an amazing year!
     Meanwhile, I still dearly love my work in the Circle and other overtly spiritual situations, but am actively embracing opportunities to perform elsewhere, too. Because that's the best way I know to share the Circle's purpose as widely as possible, by learning "to honor and nurture Sacred in ourselves, each other and all Creation." By erasing the artificial lines between "sacred" and "secular" which I'd erected in my mind. Finding renewed pleasure in sharing my brand of musical performance art as widely as possible, new ways to communicate our Oneness with a wider audience. Learning to ask for - and accept - support in doing this work. Don't know what all of that means yet, but I'm enjoying the process of finding out!
ASKING SUPPORT
     And, at long last, I'm producing my first concert in Austin on Saturday night, March 5th. Rudi + the Rudiments will be raising the roof at the Austin Centre, with Dirje Childs, a truly amazing cellist, and Steve Daniel, master of the didjeridoo, sitting in on several tunes. It's going to be a wonderful night, and an important expansion of the Circle energy in Austin. That's why I'm asking for your support. Can you join us that night? And/or invite any friends or family that live in the Austin area to attend?
    The Austin Centre, 3809 S. 2nd Street, 78704 at Ben White Blvd. has plenty of free parking.
For tickets and info visit my website by clicking here.  And please share!
     In any case, thank you for your support and friendship. I'm very proud and happy to be working with you to co-create and communicate the amazing story of Oneness, Peace and Possibility Thinking in all its many forms.

With joy,
     Rudi



PS: Speaking of amazing celebrations of Oneness... thanks to everyone who helped make our 24th Circle Birthday Party/Valentine's Day Celebration last Sunday such a wonderful event! I won't even try to list all the loving individuals who gave generously of their time, talent and treasure to make it possible - but you know who you are, and hopefully, you also know how much your gifts are appreciated.


No comments:

Post a Comment