Tuesday, June 20, 2017

SUMMERTIME AND THE LIVING IS EASY (OR NOT)


     It's b-a-c-k!  The sweaty weight of humid heat hangs heavy over the streets of Sauna Antonio once again, making even the smallest of movements seem like too much trouble. Of course, most of my work takes place indoors, in air-conditioned comfort, but at the moment, I'm busy schlepping several loads of music equipment from the house to the car, working up a sweat. Soon enough I'll be back indoors, I tell myself. "But that's not the point," a grasshopper whispers as he sails by my ear, on his way to a shady spot nearby.  "It's summertime and you're supposed to be following Mother Nature's cue, slowing down a bit in the heat of the day...Why not stay outside, settle down and relax awhile?"
SURRENDERING 
     Feeling the gentle downward-tug of gravity, I slump into the shade of an oak tree in order to recharge my batteries for a minute or two. Its been a super-full week, and there's an even fuller weekend ahead: three nursing home shows today, the Summer Solstice tomorrow, the Morning Circle and family Father's Day celebrations on Sunday. There's a bunch of stuff to do, so I can't sit here long. But I've learned from experience that just a couple of minutes of quiet time, preferably unleashed from my electronic gadgets, can make all the difference in the pace of the day, and the amount of focus I'm able bring to my task(s) afterwards.
LISTENING
     So here I sit in the shade of a tree, feeling the heat and doing my best to pay attention to what my surroundings are telling me:  "slow down, relax, listen for the quiet clues whispering from inside and all around you."
     Having heard that invitation, it seems appropriate to extend the same reminder to you. Won't you take a few minutes now, or sometime soon, to simply be outside and feel the rising heat and the changing of the seasons? Maybe just a few minutes sitting in the shade outside your home or workplace right now? Or a slow stroll along the river tomorrow. Perhaps you'll be able to set aside a couple of hours to drive out to the Cave Without a Name near Boerne, and join us for our Summer Solstice concert down in the cool, damp cave tomorrow night. That will certainly be a particularly fine chance to slow down, cool down and feel your connection to the Earth and the fullness of summer.
INVITING
     In any case, wherever, whenever it works for you to do so, I invite you to consider taking an opportunity(s) to be outside, feel the heat and sink into the sweet, slow simmering sensation of summertime tugging at your sleeves, inviting your body to surrender, sometime sooner than later. All of Creation is waiting for you...
     That's my invitation, and I'm sticking to it.
With joy,
     Rudi
THANK YOU for holding the Circle in your heart by visualizing a generous flow of financial abundance. Thank you for supporting us as we continue our work of fostering a creative, inclusive approach to spirituality. We are deeply grateful.


http://www.celebrationcircle.org/donate

No comments:

Post a Comment