Saturday, May 28, 2016

SUNNY SIDE UP


      I went to see the dermatologist for my annual checkup this week, as I have for the past five years. Once again, he used liquid nitrogen to freeze off about fifty small, pre-cancerous sunspots distributed around my face, back, arms and legs. Based on past experience, I knew in advance that it would probably hurt quite a bit (for a guy with a well-demonstrated intolerance for pain) and be somewhat expensive. Still, it's worth it, because any one of these small patches of slightly rough skin, known scientifically as solar keratosis, has a good chance of becoming cancerous over time, especially for those of us who spend a significant amount of time outdoors while living in sun-drenched areas like South Texas. 

THROUGH THE YEARS
     There's really nothing to worry about, as long as I keep going back and have the doctor monitor this skin condition. The reason I'm mentioning it here is to share the awareness with others who might be at risk for skin cancer - which is basically anyone else who's over the age of 50 and has lived in a warm climate for most of their lives.  As Dr. Duncan pointed out, sun damage is cumulative, and any skin abnormalities I see today correspond to sun exposure from forty years ago. Forty years!
     Intellectually, I know that every action we take has consequences. But this particular visit to the dermatologist is such a concrete demonstration of that principle that it takes me by the shoulder and shakes me to the core. Had anyone told 24-year-old Rudi that sunbathing with his pals on the riverbank for days on end would have costly and painful results forty years later, he would probably have laughed, slathered on more baby oil and rolled over to get a more even tan.

MAKING CHOICES
     Fortunately, by the time I was in my late 20's, and since then I have become more health conscious in general, and aware of the importance of wearing sunscreen, hat and long sleeves when outdoors. But in the aftermath of this week's visit to the doctor, as these painful spots heal, I can't help but find myself wondering what other consequences am I living with as a results of past choices? And, more importantly, what choices and habits can I cultivate today, in order to reap more positive, healthful consequences in the future? Just wondering... 

With gratitude and blessings,
     Rudi

No comments:

Post a Comment