Sunday, March 6, 2016

GRATEFUL FOR THIS DAY

     Last week, our son, Mateo, came down with the flu, big time. Headache, nausea, coughing, aching bones, chills, fever - the whole crummy deal. He was miserable.  And since he's usually very healthy, he had not had a full-blown illness like this since he was much younger, so it felt like a brand new experience to him.
 
LOOKING AT MY SON
     At one point, two painful days into the process, he mumbled "this must be what it feels like to die." Being a dad, it was very tempting to try to assure him that this was "just a flu and you'll feel better soon" But I knew full well that such words wouldn't be helpful, so I kept my mouth shut and brought him more liquids, cold packs and blankets as needed, instead.
     Three days later, Zet came down with it, too - so then I had two patients. The next day, I got it as well, and then our home truly felt like it had become a ghastly, grey sick ward, full of hacking, snurgling, napping, sickly folks. No energy. No fun. No big deal, really; it was "just a flu", something we adults have been through a number of times, and yet there we were, stuck in the middle of the yuck.
 
LOOKING AT MYSELF
     Fortunately, we all gradually stumbled back to wellness, each in our own way. And then, yesterday, it was as if some dark veil draped over our household was magically lifted, the sun broke through, and suddenly all three of us were clearly on the path back to full health again. Yes!
      How sweet it was to wake up this morning and feel some pep in my step for the first time in days. How fresh and fragrant those first few, clear lungful's of breath felt, making me swear that I'll never take an unencumbered breath of air for granted again.
      Sitting at my desk in silence, just after sunrise, watching the new day being born, the following words came tumbling into my heart:
 
Today is an invitation into a new, fresh way of being - and I choose to accept it joyfully.
Today is a brand new chapter in the book of my life - and I choose to write it consciously.
Today is a prayer waiting to be spoken into the silence - and I choose to speak it prayerfully.
Today is a song, longing to be sung - and I choose to sing it with heart wide open.
Today is a feast, ready to be enjoyed, and I arrive at the banquet table with a healthy appetite, choosing wisely, chewing slowly and savoring each bite.
Today is a gift, and I receive it with a grateful heart, eager to share it freely with everyone I encounter - especially my Self.
 
With joy and hopes that you, too, are enjoying your health,
     Rudi
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment