Friday, October 16, 2015

JUST ONE LEAF


Walking outside to get into
my car and 
zoom off to tackle
the first of several errands planned for this day,
I'm stopped 
dead in my tracks
by the sight of
            one
                        single
                                    red oak leaf
      swirling
                        down
around
            my
                        head

carried along by the first strong cool, breeze
of the season
 
Quite a few other leaves
are lying on the ground already,
but this is the first one I've actually watched 
falling
in            super      slow       motion

vividly demonstrating the path we all
must travel eventually
as it spirals downward
following gravity's pull
back into the earth
from which we arose at birth
 
Just two minutes earlier I was in a
mighty big rush to go somewhere else
but this one, single leaf has hushed my mental chatter  
just long enough
to reveal the mysterious
curvature of time and space in this place where I'm standing
demanding that I slow down
take a deep breath
face into the fact of my eventual death
then 
pause
and give thanks for this moment of simply bearing witness
to the turning of the seasons
once again.

With gratitude and blessings,
        Rudi



No comments:

Post a Comment