Sunday, March 15, 2015

A STARGAZER'S TALE


 It's one of those mornings when I just can't seem to get into gear. Having returned from a two-day, mini-retreat that Zet and I had enjoyed in the Hill Country a few days earlier, I'm clearly crashing from the beautiful buzz I got from that delicious time in Mother Nature, breathing in clean, fresh air while wrapped in a velvet blanket of silence.

 

STUCK IN THE YUCK

            I'm trying to get back into the routine of city life, but having washed the breakfast dishes, made the bed and walked the dogs, I'm putting off the inevitable need to get back to my desk and face up to the big pile of tasks and deadlines awaiting action. Unable to get any traction, I go outside to clear my head with a few minutes of grounding meditation, but quickly find myself getting bummed out by the depressing sound of rush-hour traffic nearby and the sickening sight of the smoggy sky. How I long to go back to bed and pull the covers over my head!

 

GETTING UNSTUCK

            But then I remember the spell-binding sight of the zillions of stars we'd seen in the Hill Country sky just a few nights before, and a doorway opens in the back corner of my mind. Yes, of course, all of those stars are still shining brightly, right here, right now! They might be invisible to my naked eye in this smoggy, day sky - but that doesn't mean they're not there, shining just as brightly as ever. And suddenly, I'm not feeling so sad or alone, and a warm, familiar feeling comes flooding through my heart and into my bones.

            A few seconds later a brand new song comes floating through my mind and I find myself singing along, feeling stronger and more centered, more willing to do what needs to be done, with renewed zest for whatever comes next...

 

FEELING STARSTRUCK

            I can't really explain it, and I'm certainly won't claim that all the lyrics are necessarily true - or not. I'll leave that up to you to decide. All I know is that writing and singing this tune over the past few days has left me feeling more energized and deeply connected, and I would like to share that feeling with you. So, here are the lyrics, and there's a 4-minute video recording at the beginning of this column that you're invited to view and/or share, in hopes that others might find it helpful, too.

 

                 SOUL DESTINY

When I open my heart to the morning sky,

and the stars I can no longer see

Still shining as bright as they were last night,

still pouring their light down on me

I can feel in my bones, that I'm not alone,

for there's a star where my tribe waits for me

somewhere deep in outer space,

in some far off galaxy

 

Where my soul sisters and soul brothers,

are beaming a message to me

saying welcome home, whenever you return,

but for now you won't you please learn to see

that this tiny planet Earth, which has given you birth

in this lifetime, that's where you're meant to be

though it often feels wrong,

and those feelings can get strong,

it's just part of your Soul Destiny

 

Far out in space, there's a being with a face

that may not look much like mine

but deep down inside there's a bright golden light

being broadcast across space and time

we're so far apart, when measured in miles

and yet we share sparks without words or smiles

far beyond thoughts or things we can see

there's a way of knowing that sets my soul free

 

Sometimes confused, sometimes so scared

sometimes I wonder, why bother to care

in a world where we blunder and get pushed to the brink

why must I stay here where life often stinks

polluted by hatred, war and greed

where the air is so dirty, it getting harder to breathe

I don't have the answers, but one thing I know

there's work to be done here, before I can go

 

As I open my heart to the morning sky

and the stars I can no longer see

I just know that it's true that far, far away

in some distant galaxy

there's a place where my tribe will welcome me home

whenever that time may arrive

but until that day comes, I simply give thanks

for the gift of being alive

 

(words and music by Rudi Harst © 2015)


With joy, 

     Rudi




No comments:

Post a Comment