Saturday, November 8, 2014

TAKING A RIDE

          
       My daughter, Sarah, Zet and I are zooming through the Dutch countryside, early on a cold, gray morning, heading toward Amsterdam to catch our flight back to San Antonio after three weeks of sweet suspension from our "regular" life. Much of our time was spent immersed in multiple dimensions of pleasure, beginning with our daughter's story-book, three-day wedding celebration, wrapped inside a sunny, week-long, beachfront vacation on the Mediterranean island of Ibiza, followed by a heartwarming ten days of post-wedding, domestic bliss in Sarah's home town of The Hague.
MAKING IT HARD
        It's been wonderful to spend this time visiting with friends and our newly-enlarged family, especially our step-granddaughters, Panther (age 7) and Arizona (age 9), who were already very close to our ten-year old granddaughter, Aiko, and quickly bonded with Oma Zet. What a lively household! Add in the joy of grazing our way through numerous feasts of favorite Dutch/Indoneasian foods, re-connecting with long-time friends and re-visiting some of my old stomping grounds from the 1970's, and you've got a can't-miss recipe for a great vacation. I'm not exactly grieving, but it sure is tough to think of leaving all of this behind.
        We are mostly quiet as Sarah drives through heavy traffic, focused on arriving at the airport on time. The silence allows my mind to ricochet wildly between replaying the joyful highlights of these past three weeks and projecting into the looming sadness of leaving this sweet family and country that I love so much, knowing that it may be quite awhile before we return. Bouncing between the past and future, alternately burning with pain, beaming with pleasure and seeking some measure of peace, I get off the mental rollercoaster just long enough to take a slow, deep breath... and then another...
TAKING IT EASY
        In the silence, I feel the soft embrace of the Divine - gently reminding me that I've been so busy zooming around inside my mind that I've overlooked the extraordinary treasures available right here within the moment at hand. "Sure, those times in Ibiza and Den Haag were delicious, and sure, it's hard to leave your loved ones," the Still Small Voice seems to say, "but what about Now?"
         Caught by surprise, I look with fresh eyes at this incredibly beautiful, kind, capable and strong woman at the steering wheel, fully engaged in this wonderful life she has created. And then there's my best friend and beloved wife, Zet, seated right next to me on this latest journey, just as she has been for the last 35 years. It's astonishing to feel that vast field of love radiating between the three of us, filling this car to overflowing. How could I possibly have overlooked that?
And why in the world would I spend so much of this precious, hour-long ride to the airport clinging to the past or regretting an unavoidable future? Why not simply savor the richness of this present, precious moment in the company of these two amazing women I love so deeply? Let the joy and the sorrow, the faith and confusion, the past and future be present, too? There's plenty of room for all of them -- and so much more -- within my heart, if I'm willing to embrace them all.
ENJOYING IT ALL
        Within a split second, the time-space continuum seems to melt away completely, and rather than hurtling through rush hour traffic, we're moving in slow motion, floating in an ocean of love that stretches out in all directions, inside and all around us.
Soon enough, we'll arrive at the airport, share goodbye hugs and lug our bags toward the departure gate and whatever else lies waiting ahead. But for now, I'm savoring this moment, knowing that it is enough.
With gratitude and blessings,
          Rudi


 

No comments:

Post a Comment