Saturday, August 2, 2014

SMALL PIECES OF PEACE


          It's been an unusually full and trying week, with some mighty strong demands on my time, energy, and resources - to say nothing of my heart. Thank goodness for the small moments that call out to my soul from time to time, inviting me again and again, to stop for just a few seconds. Some I take consciously; most simply arrive at random.

OBSERVING
            Each, in its own way, induces me to see with new eyes, breathe in a new breath, and see new possibilities waiting to emerge. One such interlude became a short poem, as well as a brief, but fulfilling rest. I share it here in hopes that you, too, will take a mini-break sometime sooner rather than later:

PAUSING
Waiting for the light to change
at the busy intersection of Walk and Don't Walk,
an orange and black butterfly comes floating by.
I stalk it with my eyes
eager
to see something - anything -- not manufactured
by human hands.

Zig-zagging here and there, it lands on the one blade of grass
growing through the cement sidewalk,
underneath a bus stop bench.

The butterfly stops to sit still and simply rest for a moment
and so do I.

With blessings and best wishes for your piece(s) of summer peace -- whatever form(s) that may take,
        Rudi



No comments:

Post a Comment